My Solution to Writer's Block

Yesterday, I wrote a post about my book problem. Actually, I just posted it today, because procrastination.

Here is my book problem. I have too many different interlocking stories and too many different ideas, and I have no idea how to make the ideas work together.

Here is my solution:
I'm starting over.

Not completely of course. But I'm in a rut, and I need to shake things up. So, I did what I've often done before. I copied my entire book into a new directory, labeled it "Past Book", and I opened a new folder called current book, and started a new file called Chapter One. I'm starting over again.

Don't worry. I'm not throwing out everything I've written so far. I'm going to try and use as much of the material as I can. But I'm no longer stuck with the order I'd used before. I'm throwing out the sequence of my plot and trying to see what happens if I just write from the first scene.

Unfortunately, my word count is now way down! I'm now just at 5,683 words. But now I have 39,884 words of notes and excerpts that I'm still planning to fit into my novel somewhere. So hopefully my word count will come back up quickly.

Here are my stats now:
Time spent writing today: 60 minutes
Words written today: 5683 (not really, some of these words are just copied from another part of the book, but I'm not sure how to find the exact number of new words I wrote)
Time spent writing so far: 56.95 hours
Number of words: 5683
Words in my notes: 39,884